- January 14, 2021
- Steve Heisler
- Podcast Episodes
Billie Mintz is a documentary filmmaker who exposed the professional guardianship industry’s corruption in his film, The Guardians. Guardianship is a legal relationship created for an older adult who can no longer care for himself or herself. Unfortunately, guardianship can go wrong when the guardian decides to take advantage of the older person. Tune in as Billie tells stories about abusive probate guardianship. Plus, we talk about which states abusive probate guardianship is most likely to happen in and what are some things that you can do to combat it.
In This Episode:
- [02:00] About Billie Mintz. Billie explains what guardianship means.
- [05:45] What guardian abuse can look like.
- [09:40] The types of calls that Billie gets about his documentary.
- [13:50] Billie tells stories about people who are actively in trouble right now with abusive guardianship.
- [21:50] What’s next for Billie.
- Guardianship is a legal relationship created when a court appoints an individual to care for an elderly person who is no longer able to care for himself or herself.
- Guardian abuse happens when the Guardian takes advantage of the Ward and often pilfers all of the financial assets that the person has.
- Florida, Arizona, New York, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are all hot spots for corrupt guardianship; pay extra attention in these states.
- American Against Abusive Probate Guardianship (AAAPG), was founded by Dr. Sam J Sugar. AAAPG has been at the national forefront of focusing attention on the plight of guardianship abuse victims.
Meet Billie Mintz:
Billie Mintz, founder of INNOV8R, is an award winning filmmaker who has produced and directed seven feature length documentaries and several narrative short films. Billie has directed numerous award-winning short films, commercials, and social media campaigns that have been screened at over 40 international film festivals. Billie has dedicated his career to social justice, raising public consciousness, and advocating for those who have no voice. His belief in the power of story to inspire policy change is a driving force in his life as a filmmaker.
Imagin8r on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/imagin8r